The Virtu Project teaches LAMP students about ethical investing—while providing access to healthcare in parts of the world that lack the basic medical resources we take for granted.
How We Started
In 2006, a group of LAMP students developed a novel idea: To combine their passion for helping others with a desire to learn the fundamentals of investment and portfolio management. From this inspiration and commitment, the Virtu Project was born.
How It Works
- Virtu Project members take mock capital (or phantom money) pledged by real donors and place it in a mock investment portfolio.
- The equivalent of the mock return on the mock investment after one year is then donated in real money to Timmy Global Health, a not-for-profit organization that expands access to healthcare in developing countries.
This method eliminates the risk of losing money, yet still rewards performance. Virtu has been incredibly successful—our mock portfolio consistently outperforms the market.
Since it started, the Virtu Project has raised more than $35,000 for Timmy Global Health.
Real-World Business Experience
Virtu Project members acquire these real-world skills:
- Seeking out and building relationships with donors.
- Ethical investing.
- Portfolio management. Students develop an investment strategy, analyze the market, and purchase stocks.
- Training other students in the fundamentals of portfolio management.
How to Join Us
LAMP students come to this project with a range of backgrounds and experience. Whether you're an English major who is an investing newbie or an economics major who follows the stock market religiously, we invite you to see if the Virtu Project is right for you. For more information, get in touch with us at email@example.com.